Friday, December 7, 2012

Time to get serious: 18 weeks until marathon weekend

Many runners training for the Boston Marathon follow an 18-week training plan.  Well, 18 weeks starts on Monday December 10th, just a few days away.  As mentioned in an earlier post, I'm following the 18-week plan in Advanced Marathoning By Pfitzinger, Pete/ Douglas, Scott (Google Affiliate Ad)

Last year I followed the same plan, but used the "up to 55 miles per week" version.  This year, I'm stepping it up a bit, and following the 18-week plan that calls for distances ranging from 55 to 70 miles per week.  To prepare, I've been gradually ramping up my weekly running distance to 45 miles per week (today, the weekly tally stands at 36 and I'm planning a 9+ mile run Saturday morning to cap off the week.  Next week will be 55 miles, with daily runs ranging from 5 miles on the low end to a 15 mile long run. 

Now it's going to start to get interesting! Or, as said by Navin Johnson, the character played by Steve Martin in the film comedy, "The Jerk,"  "Things are going to start happening to me now."

No comments:

Post a Comment